The early 1ZZ engines are now notorious for piston ring failure and oil consumption, especially in the MR2-S. The most popular fix is upgrading to the more robust 2ZZ-GE engine (and optionally 6-speed transmission) found in the Lotus Elise/Exige and Celica/Matrix/Corolla sport models. Better durability, clean OEM-like install and a 50+ horsepower boost makes this swap a no-brainer!
Our most popular install:
- 2ZZ-GE engine, low mile, fully inspected, new lift bolts
- Appx 190hp
- 6-speed transmission, low mile, fully inspected
- Toyota OEM engine computer, MWR swap PNP wiring kit
- PPE long tube header and high flow cat (bolts to your current muffler)
- MWR cold air intake with K&N filter
- MWR swap parts including engine mount, dipstick tube, etc
- New Exedy clutch, fresh machined flywheel, ARP flywheel bolts
- TRD “Grippy” 6-speed shift knob
- Speed source shifter bushings
- NGK Iridium spark plugs
- Expert install labor
- Synthetic engine oil, synthetic gear oil, K&N oil filter
- Deduction for trade in of your old engine and transmission in any rebuildable condition
- Sales tax included
$6895 out the door!
$5850 for engine swap only, reuse your 5-speed transmission
- Limited slip differential (TRD Helical LSD) ($950)
- Upgraded muffler (2 1/2″) with single ($649) or dual ($799) tips
- Apexi Power FC programmable computer ($699) and custom dyno tune ($275)
- Stage 2 MWR camshafts and MWR valve springs ($1225)
- More elaborate engine builds, supercharger, turbo; you name it we’ll build it!