Toyota’s SMT transmission gets unreliable as it ages and repairs can be complicated and expensive. Performance is also not exciting. Add to that the fact that the early 1ZZ engines are now notorious for piston ring failure and oil consumption, especially in the MR2-S. The solution is here! Upgrade to the more robust 2ZZ-GE engine and 6-speed close ratio manual transmission found in the Lotus Elise/Exige and Celica/Matrix/Corolla sport models. Better durability, more simplicity, sportier manual shifting, clean OEM-like install and a 50+ horsepower boost makes this swap a no-brainer!
Our most popular install package:
- 2ZZ-GE engine, low mile, fully inspected, new lift bolts
- 6-speed close ratio transmission, low mile, fully inspected
- MWR SMT Swap kits consisting of NEW Toyota OEM parts (shifter, cables, hydraulic system, etc)
- Toyota OEM engine computer, MWR swap wiring kit
- PPE long tube header and high flow cat (bolts to your current muffler)
- MWR cold air intake with K&N filter
- MWR swap parts including engine mount, dipstick tube, etc
- New Exedy clutch, fresh machined flywheel, ARP flywheel bolts
- TRD “Grippy” 6-speed shift knob
- Speed source shifter bushings
- NGK Iridium spark plugs
- Expert install labor
- Synthetic engine oil, synthetic gear oil, K&N oil filter
- Includes deduction for trade in of your old engine, transmission, SMT parts in any rebuildable condition
- Sales tax included
$9950 out the door!
$9450 for engine swap only, reuse your old 5- or 6-speed transmission but convert it to manual operation (the gear ratios are less sporty and your transmission must be in good shape internally to be reused)
- Limited slip differential (TRD Helical LSD) ($950)
- Upgraded muffler (2 1/2″) with single ($649) or dual ($799) tips
- Apexi Power FC programmable computer ($699) and custom dyno tune ($275)
- Stage 2 MWR camshafts and MWR valve springs ($1225)
- More elaborate engine builds, supercharger, turbo; you name it we’ll build it!