The AEM Electronics Flex Fuel Wideband Failsafe Gauge displays Air/Fuel Ratio, Boost/Vacuum and Ethanol Content, and can actively protect your engine from damage if it runs lean or excessively rich.
The 52mm (2-1/16”) Flex Fuel Wideband Failsafe Gauge includes a Bosch 4.2LSU AFR wideband sensor for monitoring and feedback of AFR, and an on-board boost sensor to read vacuum or boost pressures up to 29 PSI. It is available with or without an ethanol content sensor for users who may already have one (PN 30-4910 no sensor, PN 30-4911 includes sensor). An internal data logger is included to capture approximately 2.5 hours of data on a loop, and includes two analog outputs for logging AFR, Flex Fuel content and any triggered alarms. The gauge also includes a low side output for triggering a failsafe strategy in the event AFR falls outside of the operating window.
This product is a must have for all tuned performance engines who use Ethanol-based fuels like E85, either forced induction or naturally aspirated. Any high performance vehicle owners who want an accurate AFR tuning tool with integrated logging and the ability save an engine from catastrophic failure will want the Flex Fuel Wideband Failsafe device.
WHAT IT DOES
After the engine is tuned and a safe operating window of AFR is established, the Flex Fuel Wideband FAILSAFE Gauge continuously monitors AFR/Lambda and Boost/Vacuum to make sure that AFRs do not fall out of a user defined operating window. If it detects an out of range AFR reading, the gauge triggers a low side output (ground signal with a 1.5 amp draw max) that can save your engine from catastrophic damage.
VIBRANT Organic LED DISPLAY
AEM’s Flex Fuel Wideband FAILSAFE Gauge’s feature a vibrant Organic LED (OLED) center readout that can be user-programmed to display AFR/Lambda and Ethanol Content, Boost/Vacuum and Ethanol Content, or a single input of either AFR/Lambda or Boost/Vacuum. The 24 sweeping outer LED ‘needles’ can be programmed to display AFR or Boost/Vacuum, and corresponding faceplates are included for matching the inputs to the proper display layout. A silver bezel is also included to further customize the look of the gauge face.
EASY TO SET UP
The gauge’s intuitive software makes set up and configuring the low side output a snap. Setting AFR boundary limits, creating a user-adjustable time delay strategy to prevent false alarms, customizing the gauge lighting to flash and alert the driver if an alarm is triggered and configuring the LED displays are all performed using the software via a USB connection.
ON-BOARD DATA LOGGER
The Flex Fuel Wideband FAILSAFE Gauge’s on-board data logger stores approximately 2.5 hours of data (20 Hz per parameter) of AFR, Flex Fuel content and Alarm events. Data logs can be downloaded for viewing in FREE AEMdata software, which includes video encoding to overlay data onto your videos. Users with AEMnet-equipped (CAN bus) devices can daisy chain the Flex Fuel Wideband FAILSAFE gauge using the AEMnet connection (adapter sold separately). Non AEMnet-equipped devices can communicate with the gauge using the CAN 2.0B spec protocol. An analog output for O2 feedback is also provided for 3rd party engine management systems, or logging with a stand-alone 3rd party data logger.
EXAMPLE ENGINE PROTECTION STRATEGIES
NATURALLY ASPIRATED, TURBOCHARGED OR SUPERCHARGED WITH STAND ALONE EMS OR PIGGYBACK CONTROLLER: Can use the low side output to cut revs, retard timing, trigger a separate fuel or ignition map and activate an ancillary warning light. Users with turbos can also trigger the device to cut boost (may require separate solenoid). The aforementioned strategies are provided as an example. Available failsafe strategies will ultimately be dependent on the capability of the EMS or piggyback engine controller.
FLEX FUEL WIDEBAND FAILSAFE GAUGE TECHNICAL FEATURES:
- Can display AFR/Lambda, Boost/Vacuum and Ethanol Content simultaneously on the gauge face!
- Internal boost sensor (29 PSI)
- Bosch 4.2LSU Wideband UEGO sensor and weld-in bung included
- Available with or without an ethanol content sensor
- On-Board data logging (AFR & Flex Fuel content) with analysis using FREE AEMdata software
- Full color center Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) display is user selectable (Boost/Vacuum and Ethanol Content, AFR/Lambda and Ethanol Content or only Boost/Vacuum or AFR/Lambda)
- 24 three-color sweeping LEDs, user selectable colors (Boost/Vacuum or AFR/Lambda)
- Intuitive set up software
- Dimmer input included
- Interchangeable faceplates and bezels
- Standard 52mm (2-1/16th) diameter fits most gauge pods
FLEX FUEL WIDEBAND FAILSAFE GAUGE INSTALLATION FEATURES:
- AEMnet compatible (CAN 2.0)
- Differential AFR analog output
- Differential Ethanol Content analog output
- One low-side driver output (Ground with 1.5 amp max draw)
- Positive-lock connectors
- Tunable PC-based software with USB connectivity
- Time based reset for outputs
WIDEBAND FAILSAFE GAUGE FACEPLATE STYLES:
- Black Vacuum only in sweeping LEDs
- Black and White AFR in sweeping LEDs
- Black and White Vacuum/Boost in sweeping LEDs
- Black Lambda in sweeping LEDs