2000-05 MR2 Spyder SMT to Manual Transmission Conversion
We sell a complete kit that includes everything you’ll need for the conversion: MWR SMT KIT . This is simpler than our old multi-kit setup and saves you some money as well.
How difficult is this swap?
- The wiring is not difficult at all and a diagram is provided. You’ll need to pull out your driver’s seat and spend some quality time with your head under the dash to get the pedal assemblies installed. You must grind a small hole in the front firewall so the master cylinder may pass through. Center console needs to come out to swap in the shifter and cables. The fuel tank does not need to be dropped to route the cables or the special MWR hydraulic hose. Swapping throttle body and shifting mechanism hardware in the engine bay is easy and there is good access. You must get under the car to install the release fork adapter.
- Note that regardless of options, the cruise control will not be functional after manual conversion.
We need your old SMT components to rebuild for other customers! After you’re done with your swap, just pack up the units below and ship them to us with your order number and “SMT TRADE IN” on the outside of the box(es) and we’ll refund $500 of your purchase payment. We can even send you $500 if you didn’t buy the conversion kit from us! When packing the units up, PLEASE remove all of the sensors from the hydraulic units and wrap them up in additional padding so they’re protected- the fragile plastic connectors get damaged easily and the sensors are unusable if cracked. We pay $500 for the collection of parts listed below received in undamaged condition, so be sure to pack and pad them well to avoid shipping damage. Any malfunctioning of the units or sensors is of course just fine- we know you did the swap for a reason! If you have only some of the components we can pay you a smaller amount, depending in what you have. We can even supply UPS shipping labels if you’d like, just let us know weights of your boxes by email. Shipping cost would be deducted from the payout, but is usually quite inexpensive.
1. Gear Shift Actuator (GSA) with sensors and solenoids (sensors not shown)
2. Hydraulic Pump Unit (HPU) with sensor and solenoids (sensor not shown)
3. The 3 hoses that connect the two units above
4. Transmission Control Unit (TCU)